Asparagus & Cheese Pies Our cheesy, simple asparagus recipe
No need to muck about making pastry – just use your loaf and whip up these instant pie bases.
- Blanch the asparagus in boiling salted water for two-three minutes until just cooked.
- Cut the crusts off the bread slices and brush each side with melted butter, pressing them into a 12-hole muffin tin.
- Slice the asparagus diagonally into one centimetre slices – separate the tips and pile the remainder into the bread cases.
- Place the Mainland Egmont on top of the asparagus followed by two asparagus tips.
- Beat together the eggs, cream, lemon zest and seasoning and pour evenly between the 12 pies.
- Bake at 180° C for 15- 20 minutes or until the egg mixture has set.
This can be made in a loaf tin - place buttered bread on top before cooking and vary the volume of ingredients depending on its size.